We are excited to announce our first overnight activity in over 14 months!
Our first overnight activity since pre-covid times will be a ham-mocking trip up to Larch Hill Scout Centre. On Saturday, Scouts will get the chance to pitch their own hammock, cook meals on open fire, and experience the outdoors! On Sunday, we will trek over to ZipIt to tackle the treetop high ropes course.
When: Saturday June 19 – Sunday June 20, 2021.
Where: Larch Hill Scout Centre + ZipIt Adventure Park (directions linked).
Cost: €35 per scout, paid on or before Thursday June 10.
Drop Off/Pick Up:
Scouts should be dropped off at 4:00pm on Saturday at Larch Hill Carpark, a member of the Leader team will be there to meet your Scout. Collection will be at 5:30pm on Sunday at ZipIt Carpark.
Scouts will require all of the below equipment in order to participate in this overnight activity. You do not need to go our buying the best bits, keep an eye out in Lidl and Aldi for outdoor equipment! If you are having trouble accessing any of the below items please let us know and we will do our best to help you out! We will be conducting an equipment check for all Scouts participating in the activity the meeting before we go (Thursday June 17th).
- Packed lunch/snack for Saturday.
- Face-masks (at least 3 to allow for daily changing)
- Hand Sanitiser
- Neckerchief & Woggle
- Sleeping Bag
- Warm Clothes
- Night Wear
- Eating Equipment*
- Small Day Bag
- Water Bottle
- Hiking Boots
- Rain Gear (jacket and bottoms)
- Bivy Bag
Scouts should pack all their equipment into a rucksack style bag that they can carry on their back. Scouts will be required to carry their bag and walk for a relatively long distance.
This activity will be planned an executed fully aligned to Scouting Ireland and DCYA Covid-19 advice. Please see a summary of measures that we are implementing to make this activity Covid-19 safe!
- Scouts will be outdoors in open-air at all times.
- Scouts will be required to wear face-masks when adequate social distancing cannot be achieved.
- All Scouts will sleep in individual hammock and tarps, at least 2 meters apart from each other.
- We will be providing hand-washing and sanitising facilities (Scouts should also bring hand sanitiser).
Register Your Scout:
Please register your Scout for this event using this form by Thursday June 10. Payment should also be brought up to the Den by the same date. Due to Covid-19 guidance, we have a limited number of spaces for this activity, places will be allocated on a first registered first-served basis.
You have 45 mins to complete a photo scavenger hunt. For the scavenger hunt you need to take a selfie / photo of your patrol at the following locations:
- Tymon Park Gates (all members)
- Bishop Shanahan National School (all patrol members who were pupils there)
- Garden Centre (shortest patrol member)
- Brofida B&B (tallest patrol member)
- Sunflower Chinese Takeaway (youngest and oldest patrol member)
Good luck! And stay safe, especially when crossing main roads.
Please note that our bi-weekly meeting for this week will be replaced by the County Youth Forum. A Youth Forum is a meeting where young people from the county can share ideas and views on particular issues that affect them.
When: Thursday 25th February 2021 @ 7:00PM – 9:00PM.
How: Via Zoom (link below)
More Info: Click here to find more information.
We would encourage all our youth members to join! Please let us know if you have any questions about this event.
We hope you and your families are all keeping safe and well. We wanted to provide you with an update on our plans to continue scouting during the level 5 lockdown. As previously communicated, we will postpone all in-person scouting meetings and activities until Scouting Ireland and government advice allows otherwise.
We are planning to host virtual scout meetings every 2 weeks, starting this week! Please see some key details for this below! We hope that all scouts can join so that we can continue Scouting, and prepare for when Scouting returns back to normal!
- What: Zoom Scout Meeting
- Where: At home, online via zoom.
- When: 28th January, 11th February, 25th February @ 7:30PM – 8:30PM.
- How to Join:
- Click on this link (https://cutt.ly/Fj1F3jI) using a computer, phone or tablet.
- Input your Full Name and Password. For safety purposes, passwords will be communicated to to parents via text on the evening of each meeting.
Scouts will not need any additional items to join this meeting, but we will be setting fun challenges each meeting in the future that may require this. Some of the senior scouts may be asked to stay on the zoom call a little later (no later than 9:00pm) with the leaders to help plan the programme for the next meeting.
Yours in Scouting,
The Scout Leader Team.
UPDATED TIMING (10/12/2020) – PLEASE READ
An increased interest in this activity has meant that we need to amend our timings, please see the updated times noted in bold below.
What: Scout Skiing + Movie Night
When: Sunday 13th December.
Where: Kilternan Ski Club + Willington Scout Den
Cost: €35 per scout, please bring this to the den the next time you are coming. Cost will cover the skiing fee, a movie night, and dinner on Sunday evening.
Scouts should meet at 3:00pm on Sunday at Kilternan Ski Club, collection will be at 5:45pm from Kilternan. We will be hosting a movie evening in the den from 6:00pm – 8:00pm after skiing.
We cannot accommodate carpooling due to Covid-19, each Scout/family should be dropped and collected from Kilternan Ski Club/The Scout Den.
All Scouts will require a signed disclaimer and health declaration form by parent/guardian to partake in the skiing.
– Hand Sanitizer
– Warm, flexible clothing that does not restrict movement*
– Strong Gloves (ideally padded ski gloves)*
– Long, thick socks*
– Long sleeved top*
– Wet weather gear as classes will still proceed if it rain*
– Neckerchief & Woggle
– Blanket (for the movie night)
– Small Day Bag
– Water Bottle
– Rain Gear
* required for skiing